A Walk To Remember

I am a Christian woman just trying to live the best I can in this life the Lord has given me. Born and raised in a Christian home, I became a Christian when I was 5 years old. Only now am I starting to search for the path that God wants me to take. It is a constant learning experience, growing in God's grace. I hope my words can inspire others, and warm their hearts and souls.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Canada

I grew up in a Christian home and am the youngest of two girls. I believe that God has each day of my life written down in his book and that if I would only turn to him he would show me his plan for my life.

Monday, March 27, 2006

From Peanuts to Cocoa


I was sitting here thinking about the snow melting today and I remembered a time when I was probably about 9 or 10 years old. I had my very first job delivering the Free Press Newspaper in our neighborhood. I would bundle myself up every day after school with the full gear - snow pants, winter coat, scarf wrapped around my head twice, a toque, and mittens of course. Then I would brave the bitter cold, with my bright red toboggan in tow - loaded to the hilt with papers, to ensure that everyone in our neighborhood received their daily news. I had taken over the route for my best friend when she decided it was time to call it quits. During the week, it wasn’t so bad delivering the paper. They were thin and easy to handle. Saturday morning, on the other hand, was a different story. It was the worst!! The paper was twice as thick and we mustn’t forget the funnies - heaven forbid they would leave those crazy "Peanuts" out just one week. There was also more houses to deliver to because some people only subscribed to the weekend papers.

On quite a few occasions my Dad, though he had been hard at work all week, would get up early on his day off, make a batch of his famous cocoa and meet me half way on my route to share a cup of loving warmth. He made the best cocoa in the world. He would then follow me along in the car while I finished up, and give me a ride back home, so that I wouldn’t have to walk. This is just one of the thousands of little things he did to show how much he loved me. Something that may have seemed small to him, meant so much to me. I used to look forward to the time we would just sit in the warmth of the car chatting. Nothing else was important durring that time. Just the two of us.


Some days, I miss him so much, I feel guilty that I may have taken him for granted. I only hope that I can create some of the same memories with my son that he gave me. These are the legacy that he left. His gentle lovingkindness only surpassed by the Lord himself. Always remembered, never forgotten!

I am reminded of the verse in Psalm chapter 63 verse 3 which states:

"Because Your lovingkindness is better than life," The Nelson Study Bible NKJV.

The commentary states that lovingkindness may also be translated "loyal love". That is the kind of relationship that we should have with our heavenly father. We need to go out and brave the bitter world, with our leather-bound Bible in tow - loaded to the hilt with footnotes, to ensure that everyone in our neighborhood recieves there daily news. Our Father may not be there to meet us with a cup of Cocoa, but he is storing up in heaven the crown of righteousness for those who have served him faithfully. That is how we show our Father lovingkindness.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your dad would be so proud to see that the memories he helped to create in you, you are now passing them along to your your son. I hope you are keeping a copy of your blogs for Alex to read when he gets older so he too can know his grandpa.
Betty

7:49 AM  
Blogger Dallas said...

Ah, I see Betty beat me to the punch. Shame on me.

Your dad was always a really great guy and loved you girls so much. At times it used to make me jealous. HH.

Thanks for sharing the memories.

11:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Another great blog I know that your Dad is real proud of you for keeping all these memories alive each day it also brings good memories to us wer'e so blessed to have had him in our family Love Grandma.

1:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ANGELA
YOUR BLOG BRINGS BACK SWEET MEMORYS I THINK OF YOUR DAD OFTEN. I REMBER ONE SAYING HE HAD IT WAS
IT A BUMMER KEEP UP THE GOOD MEMOORY OF HIM

1:42 PM  
Blogger Darlene Schacht said...

If you didn't take him for granted some times, you wouldn't be his daughter. He didn't want you to be a perfect person. I'm sure he'd want you to be exactly who you are--I know I do. A head strong, foot stomping, dog loving, karaoke singing Angela.

8:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home